General Information: The Center of Ancient CivilizationThe city of Çorum, where many cultural and art traditions are still practiced and which is an open-air museum for ruins of many civilizations, is found at the intersection of Central Anatolia and Central Black Sea regions. Natural passages formed by mountains ease the connection of the city with Central Anatolia. This is the reason why the Çorum area has integrated culturally with the Central Anatolian civilizations since Early Bronze Ages (3000 B.C.).
The oldest settlement area in Çorum was established during the Chalcolithic Age (6000-3000 B.C.). During the Early Bronze Age, the name of the Anatolian land was called the Hattian State. Since 2000 B.C., newcomers to the land also named this place as the Hittite State. The original speakers of the Hattian language were the occupants of Anatolia before the establishment of the Hittite Empire, and they were from a high culture. Çorum has been cultural center for various civilizations for five thousand years, and therefore it is a cultural bridge between the past and the future. The city has been part of Turkish culture since 1075. Therefore, the city has the traces of the feudal and Ottoman periods in architectural structures such as mosques, fortresses, clock towers, bridges and other civil buildings.
Çorum today has a growing industry, active in areas of agriculture, feed, automobile radiators, paper, holed- cartons, sterile syringes, steel casting, ceramics, machinery, computer parts, nails and furniture. Çorum also produces complete machinery for factories that produce roof-tiles/bricks, flour/semolina and feed, and turn key factories in the aforementioned industries are also built in Çorum. Apart from benefitting from its location which connects Central Anatolia to Black Sea, Çorum also makes the best of its status as “prioratized city in development”, transforming itself to a significant industry city.
Çorum In Figures
The Center of Industry and Trade: Industrial City
The industry, which continuously develops innovative and innovative solutions, makes it attractive in terms of investments with its strong local capital, natural and historical values, strategic location and wide economic hinterland.
Machine and Metal Industry
Machine metal industry sector has an important place in Çorum industrial activities. The beginning of the sector is based on the studies carried out for the repair of the machines used by the flour and feed production enterprises in the 1960s. The need to use more advanced machines in the brick and tile industry allowed the development of a second product range in the machinery manufacturing sector in the 1990s.
The companies working in the maintenance of flour, brick and tile machines at the beginning have now established turnkey factories in many parts of the world and have become well-known companies in these sectors. The development of the machinery manufacturing industry in Çorum brought with it the design and production capability that require special solutions for almost all sectors due to its competitive advantage.
Stone and Soil Based Industry
The sector dates back to 1946 in Çorum province. Corum with the development of the brick and tile industry in Turkey has been one of Turkey's leading production centers. Brick and Tile Manufacturers' Association (TUKDER) is located in Corum 36 of the 300 brick and tile factories operating in Turkey, according to the data. In this sector, a natural clustering occurred in time and companies started to merge and started marketing through joint sales companies.
The first flour factory, founded in 1898, was working with water power. Ankara-Samsun road transport has become easier with the opening of flour and wheat trade and so advanced, and Corum in wheat flour production has become one of Turkey's leading centers. Çorum brand has become a brand in flour production and Çorum Flour brand has been formed.
Thanks to the investment measures in the 1980s, poultry farming began to develop in the province. Approximately 20,000 chickens were built in each of about 200 farms. In this industry there is an annual capacity of 500 million eggs with the production of having an important role in the domestic market. Production of eggs produced by production in EU standards is an important part of the province. The average of the eggs produced in Turkey Corum 7.3% is produced and exported part.
It is one of the most important centers of our country in terms of Phrygian, Galatian, Hatti, Hittite, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, Danişmendli, Ottoman and Republican periods and Çorum Culture Tourism. In addition to the opportunities in agriculture and in the industrial sector in Çorum, the tourism sector and its types offer potential with a wide variety.Ko
The capital of the Hittites, which is the first organized state in Anatolia, is found within the boundaries of Hattusha Corum. Hattusha is listed as World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO in the heart of Anatolia. The Hittite civilization was as old and rich as the civilization of Egypt, and the cuneiform tablet of the Hittites and Egyptians was found in Boğazköy. Again here in the Yazılıkaya Kaya temple, among the high rocks, more than ninety-two gods, goddesses, animals and imaginary creatures have been processed on the rock. Alacahöyük, one of the first national excavations carried out under the directives of the Great Leader Atatürk; The works of 13 King's Tombs (Solar Courses, Taurus and deer statues) dating to the pre-Hittite period Hatti period reflect the high culture of that period.
PLACES TO VISIT
Hattusha – Bogazkale
The Temple of Yazilikaya
Ortakoy – Sapinuva
Besides the historical beauties of Corum province, there are also many natural beauties. Kargı, Osmancık and İskilip highlands, İncesu Canyon, Kızılırmak delta, Obruk Dam are among primary places.
Hiking and Biking Trails:
Two of the 14 hiking routes are in the room by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.Hittite Road Hiking Trails: Hittite Road, entitled with UNESCO logo has 11 short and 6 long distance, a total of 17 hiking trails, 380 km in total together with alternative paths, and 405 km of bike trails.
Corum has a rich food culture. There are different and unique recipes and cooking techniques in towns and villages.
Local flavors identified with Corum: Corum fivefold, keskek, Iskilip Stuffed, Kargi tulum cheese, tandoor kebab, dry ravioli, Iskilip pickle and Corum special baklava
Registered Geographical Indications
Corum roasted chickpea, Iskilip Stuffed, Iskilip pickle, İskilip Stuffed tells the journey of rice, unique flavor in the region from field to fork. Anyone who tastes it once comes to Corum again and again to eat İskilip Stuffed.
According to the epigraph which says, “The Hospital of General Diseases was constructed in December 1332, by the donations of the Hamiyet Merdan family of the Çorum Sanjak, and the contributions of the State-Charitable Foundations. The museum building which was built as a hospital in 1914, later used as Agriculture School, Health School, Art School, Trade School, Machine College and Atatürk High School, carrying the typical architectural characteristic of the 19th century, and registered as “Real Cultural Estate to be Protected” was damaged in a fire in 1988. The repair activities started in 1989 and the building was reopened on 11.03.2003 as the New Çorum Museum.
Alacahöyük was discovered in 1835 by W. G. Hamilton; and Th. Makridi initiated the first excavations in 1907 on behalf of Istanbul Museums. Doc. Hamit Zübeyr Koşay and Prof. Remzi Oǧuz Arık started the systematic excavations on behalf of Turkish Historical Society in 1935; and after 1936 these excavations continued to be carried out by H. Z., later by H. Z. Koşay & Mahmut Akok, and in the last years by only M. Akok until 1983. Prof. Doc. Aykut Çınaroǧlu restarted the excavations in 1996 which were intermitted in 1983.
Four ages of civilizations were revealed in Alacahöyük which was a very important religion and art center during the Ancient Bronze and Hittite periods. The width of the Sphinx Door, which dates back to Hittites and which was built with andesite blocks on limestone base, is 10 meters. The outer surfaces of the big blocks standing on two sides of the main gate are decorated with sphinx protoms. The outer and interior surfaces of the towers are embellished with embossed orthostades. The bull standing on the base of the left tower represents the “Storm-God of the Heavens”.
The Alacahöyük Museum, about 45 km from Çorum, is located in the village of Alacahöyük, district of Alaca. The first local museum at Alacahöyük was opened in 1940. After being moved to a building complex within the site compound, the museum was completely renewed in 2011. The objects uncovered since the beginning of the Alacahöyük excavations in 1935 are displayed in several exhibition halls that are bearing the names of the site’s excavators. The panels in the Hamit Zübeyr KOÇAY hall inform about the place and importance of Alacahöyük in Turkish archaeology. The excavation history display case contains excavation objects and a selection of publications on Alacahöyük. Chaclolithic, Early Bronze Age and Hittite artefacts are displayed in the Remzi Oǧuz ARIK hall, the Mahmut AKOK hall holds objects from the Hittite and Phrygian periods.
The location of Hattusa in Anatolian culture history is parallel to the development and importance of the Empire as it was the capital city of the Empire. Hattuşili King II. was the first to settle a central kingdom in Anatolia, and he succeeded to establish a new state that can have both political and cultural influence on a wide scale of geographical regions. Even though their imperialistic policy seem to emphasize their martial characters, the Hittites have actually made so many regions to pay taxes by signing agreements, and these dependent kingdoms could be partly independent in their internal affairs. Hattusa, which became the capital of the newly established Hittite state, was firstly located on a land area of 76 hectares. During the period of Hittite Empire in 14th century B.C., the city was surrounded by an approximately six kilometers long wall whose upper structure was made of mud-bricks and which was supported by high towers at some points and which had a stone base. The access to different districts of the city was conducted through the monumental doors placed in the walls. The two most important of these doors many of which lasted up to today are the “Door with Lion” and “the King Door”. There are lion sculptures on the outer face of the Door of Lions and a god sculpture with a gun on the inner face of the King Door. The Ground Door which is in the south of the city is one of the most interesting remains of Hattusa. The wall surmounts an artificial ridge of 20 meters here. The 250 meters long section of the slope of the artificial ridge facing the country is coated with limestone blocks. The Sphinx Door in the middle and the pottern below it which is the only tunnel that can pass through Hattusa today stands on this structure which is in shape of a cut off pyramid. You can go out of the city walls by passing through this tunnel which is 71 meters long and 3 meters high.
The Hittite kings were ruling the country from a palace which was situated up on a cliff and which is named as Büyükkale today. This palace is not built of only one structure. There is a complex in the palace which is made up of big and small structures. These structures are set around the court yards which are surrounded by galleries with columns. The king, his family, the palace staff and sentries who were called as “golden spears” were living in the complex at the time. Hattusa was both the administrative capital of the Hittite Empire and the religous center of the country. Hattusa is called as “a country with thousand gods” in the Hittite texts. The reason why there are so many gods stems from here: The Hittites, rather than annoying the gods of the other countries especially the gods of the people who they defeat and facing the rage of those gods, preferred to show their respects to these gods by gifts and prayers and accept them among their own gods. Each city had a protector god. Temples for these gods who were worshipped in different cities of the empire were also built in Hattusa. 31 temples have been found in Hattusa until now. The Great Temple which was dedicated to the Storm- God and the Sun God of Arinna_ the two greatest god of the country_ is in Aşaǧı Çehir. According to the written sources, the Hittite temples were not only the houses of the gods but also socities which had its own land and workshop run by its own staff. Along with the temples, there are some monumental structures allocated for official works in Yukarı Çehir in front of Büyükkale where there are kingdom palaces. The epigraph in the “Epigraph Room” in the Hattusa, which tells about the achievements of the Great King of Hittite Suppiliuma II., is the best protected sample of its type.
Yazılıkaya Rock Temple
The most impressive sacred place of Hattusa is Yazılıkaya Rock Temple which is slightly far from the city center and hidden between the rock cliffs. The important god and goddess of the country are respectively embossed on the rock in this open air temple which is used for the new year celebrations especially in spring. The embossed figures which were carved on a rock in Yazılıkaya Room A have been arranged in such an order which is so exceptional. Lonely Gods, except for two of them, are designated on the surface of the left stone and lonely Goddesses on the right stone. The encounter of Storm God, his wife-the Sun Goddess and their children is depicted on the main stage.
The Great King Tuthaliya IV. is carved in a bigger size on the wall across the main stage. In this carving the king wears the ceremonial dress of the Sun God and holds a crowstick which is the symbol of sovereignity and he stands on two hills. The engravings in Room B are carved on the side walls as independent figures. Twelve Gods carrying swords of sickle shape and Nergal-“the God of Sword” are the gods who live under the ground and have contact with the other world. Sharruma who is the protector god of the Great King Tuthaliya IV. is embracing and leading the king.
The Boǧazköy museum is located 82 km southwest from Çorum, in the district of Boǧazkale. The museum, displaying excavation finds from the Hittite capital of Hattusha, opened on September 12 1966 and was completely refurnished in 2011. The exhibition is arranged thematically and chronologically: starting with Chalcolithic, Early Bronze Age and Assyrian Trade Colony Period objects, the exhibit continues chronologically with Phrygian, Galatian and Roman findings, with Eastern Roman period material marking the upper end of the timeline. Passing through the “Lion’s Gate”, the Hittite hall is adorned with informative panels about the Hittite state and its society. A modelled stoneworker from the Hittite period illustrates this specific profession, together with unique items highlighted in special display cases. In the upper section of the Hittite hall, panels and displays inform about Hittite religion and military organisation, writing systems, and different materials unearthed in the excavations. A model of Hattusha and its Great Temple can be also found there. In the museum garden, the Boǧazköy sphinx and hieroglyphic steles from the Hittite era are displayed together with milestones and grave steles from the Eastern Roman period.
Şapinuva is located in southeast, 53 km far from Çorum. It was one of the important administrative centers of the Hittite Empire. The city, which was located on a strategic point owing to its both political and geographical location, is an important military and religious center. A letter about Şapinuva written by the great king was found in the Tokat Maşat Höyük excavations. In this letter king says, “When you recieve this tablet, promptly dispatch the 1701 soldiers from Ishupitta, and bring them to Şapinuva city before the Majesty in two days.” It was understood from this statement that this Hittite city was an important administrative center. The letters sent to the great king and queen constituting a big part of the correspondences here show the presence of a king and queen from the dynasty. Queen Taduhepa stands by the Great King Tuthaliya III. She ruled the country with the King Shupiluliuma I. after Tuthaliya III died. Şapinuva was a city where there were always an army command and soldiers. Mursili II. who was a great Hittite King once said, “ I inspected the troops in Şapinuva and leaded my army.” Şapinuva is located on a reasonably wide area covering the cities in its administrative region. It is a well organized city with its queen palace, army command, city hall and two temples built for the two Storm Gods.
Incesu Canyon and Cybele Embossing
Incesu Canyon is within the borders of Incesu village in Ortaköy district and named as Uzungeçit by the local people. It is 12 km long. On the right side of it stands the Alan Mountains which are 1363 meters high and on the left side of it stands the Malbelen Hill. The remains of a wall dating back to the Hellenistic Period (2nd century B.C.), water cisterns with steps named as inns by the people, and wooden girder craters take place on the rocks that stand on both sides of the canyon from where the Çekerek River which was called as Syclax in ancient times passes. These indicate that there were so many wooden constructions in the ancient times. There is an embossing of a goddess (Cybele) on the rocks, 1.5m above the river bed, on the left, parallel to the flow direction of the water, at a 1 km distance from the Incesu village. The Goddess built on a rock block faces the Scylax river that runs in front of it and the castle that stands on the high rocks. The Goddess deemed to be sitting on a throne holds a young lion in his left hand. The belief of a mother goddess in Anatolia emerged in Neolithic Age in 9000 B.C. It has been observed in Chalcholitic and Ancient Bronze Age works that the cult of mother goddess having connotations such as blessings, fruitfulness and fertility continues in these periods as well as the Neolithic Age.
The cult of mother goddess existing in 2000 B.C. including the Hittite period was named as Kubaba during the Late Hittite period, as Cybele during the Phrygian and Hellenistic periods. The Cybele embossing in the Incesu Canyon is the biggest among the other Cybele embossings in Anatolia of the Hellenistic period, and no other Cybele embossing as big as this has been discovered yet. Incesu Canyon hosts so many historical and natural beauties and it provides a natural habitat for many species of plants and animals which are special to the region. The ecosystem of the canyon developed related to the structure of the river water. Some rarely found species of Anatolia under the threat of extinction still manages to live in the canyon. Incesu is a region rich in particularly bird species. It hosts water birds (white heron, grey heron, valley bird, etc.), raptures (red-headed falcon, snake eagle, black vulture, small vulture, griffon vulture, eagle owl, etc.), and other species of birds such as climbing bird, red-beak mountain crow, rock nuthatch and kingfisher. There are some fish species of high economic value in the river such as carp bream (abramis brama), cave fish (copeata tinca), bleak (alburnus alburnus), carp (cyprinus carpio) and fresh water grey mullet, and also species of the goby fish family and fresh water crabs. Otter fish still manages to live among the other species that live in the canyon. The amount of water in the canyon during the spring months is too much. The canyon trips should be planned for July-September. The area has a bathroom, Kids Play Area, Car Park and picnic areas for visitors. Incesu Canyon, which brings history and nature together, is an important center for photographers, mountain hikers, bird watchers as well as history lovers.
Kapılıkaya Rock Tomb
It is located in Kırkdilim, 27km north of Çorum, on a rocky, steep and rough land formed by rift valleys cracked by river, on the north-west corner of a rock which extends toward north. It is a rock tomb of the Hellenistic period dating back to 2nd century B.C. It writes “IKEZIOS” on the door of the tomb’s room. The room of the tomb is in square shape, and there are deads’ secchis carved as niche on the right and left sides of the entrance.
Çorum Clock Tower
The tower was built by Beşiktaş Guardian Çorumlu Yedi Sekiz Hasan Pasha in 1984 upon the firman of the Ottoman Sultan Abdülhamit II. which he sent on the 25th anniversary of his passing to throne. The administrative statute of Çorum was advanced from county to sanjak in the same year. It is 27,5 m high. An epigraph of the same date is written in Ottoman Turkish on the marble surface on the round arched door of the castle opening to south.
The first written documents belonging to the Çorum Castle, which is situated in the city center and carries the architectural characteristics of the Seljuk Period, dates back to 1571 A.C. The castle is referred as “Sultan Süleyman’s Donation” on one of the documents of the date 1577 A.C.
Evliya Çelebi Evliya Çelebi (March 25, 1611–1682) was the most famous Ottoman traveler, having journeyed throughout the territories of the Ottoman Empire and the neighbouring landsover a period of forty years. who arrived in Çorum in 16th century said that the castle in the southern part of the city was built by Sultan Kılıç Arslan in Seljuk Empire period. The collected stones from the Roman-Byzantine periods were also used in the construction of the square shape castle. There are four towers in total each of them in one corner of the castle and two rectangular asperities on each side of the castle. There are three asperities on the northern side including the door. There is a small mosque and forty two houses in the castle.
Çorum Town Hall
It was started to be built as a National Library by the Library Building Special Construction Commission in 1923, and it was opened on 3 August 1925. Previously, the top floor was partly used as a National Library and the other part of it was allocated for exhibition room for museum pieces, meeting room for teacher’s association, stufy rooms for European and Turkish music. At the down floor there was an Ottoman Bank and private work places. The library was transferred to the down floor in 1938 and the top floor was completely used as a Community Center. Since 1960 Revolution, the building is used as Town Hall.
The mosque was built during the time of Seljuk Sultan Alaattin Keykubat III. by Hayrettin who was the enfranchised slave of him. It was ruined due to a big earthquake during the time of Bayezid II., and it was repaired by Mimar Sinan He (April 15, 1489- July 17, 1588) was the chief Ottoman architect for sultans Selim I, Suleiman I, Selim II and Murad III. He was, during a period of fifty years, responsible for the construction or the supervision of every major building in the Ottoman Empire. Murat IV. stopped over Çorum-Boǧacık Village while he was going for Yerevan Campaign. During this time, the mosque was one more time repaired; and madrasahs and rented out properties were built around it. At the time the mosque was named as Sultan Muradi Rabi Mosque. The mosque which was again ruined in 1790 earthquake started to be repaired by Yozgatlı Çapanoǧlu Süleyman Bey in 1802 with nine domes in conformity with its original; but due to his death it was built with a single wooden dome by his son Abdülfettah Bey in 1810. The pulpit of the mosque is important for the history of art. It was constructed from ebony tree with kündekari technique in 1306.
It is located in Çorum Hıdırlık district. Reputedly, it was built by Hıdıroǧlu Hayrettin in 1889 upon the request of Yedi Sekiz Hasan Pasha (Seven Eight Hasan Pasha) during the reign of Sultan Abdülhamit II. as a reverence to Suheybi Rumi’ who was one among the companions of prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) and the people who served for him. The date of building of the mosque which used to be located here and destroyed due to an earthquake is unknown. The tombs of Suheybi Rumi and Ubeyd (Ubid) Ghazi, who are companions of the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him), are situated inside the mosque, and the tomb of Kerebi Ghazi is situated in the garden on the left side of the mosque. Historical mansions, bazaar and streets with traditional handicrafts, which are located in the center of the town were restored and gained to the tourism.
Koyunbaba Bridge which stands on Kızılırmak was constructed during the time of Bayezid II. the construction started in 1484 and completed in 1489. The bridge whose length is 250 m and width is 7,5 m is made of yellow hewn stone with rectangular sections. It has a pointed arch and 19 holes.
The bridge was named after one of the famous Turkish saints, Koyunbaba. The epigraph on the bridge is written with Arabic letters. The epigraph tells about the constructer of the bridge, but it does not inform about the architecture of it.
It is located on the high mountainous region in the north of Kargı district. It is 140km far from Çorum and 26km far from Kargı. There are many uplands in this region such as Eǧinönü, Aksu, Karandu, Göl, Örencik, Karaboya, Gökçedoǧan which are connected with each other. The tradition of building upland houses in conformity with the local upland architecture still continues in these uplands. It is like a natural masterpiece with its local vegetation, ample water resources and salmon fish breeded in Aksu and Gökçedoǧan ponds.
It is located in Kargı district on Köse Mountain (2050 m) which is the highest mountain of Çorum. It is 114 km far from Çorum and 26 km far from the district center. It is 12 km far from the highway which connects Istanbul to Samsun and passes from Osmancık. It is one of our uplands which worth to stopover for its clean and ample water resources, unspoilt nature and local plant species such as scotch pine and black pine. It has an accomodation unit, restaurant and picnic site.